When the Benefits Allocation Review Team met during the FY2010-2011 year, they asked Human Resources (HR) to address the current inequity in short term disability (STD) benefits between nonexempt and exempt staff. Under the current policy, a nonexempt staff member isn’t eligible for the same benefit level as an exempt staff member until the nonexempt employee reaches 20 years of service.
HR worked with a group of five exempt and nonexempt Employee Relations Advisory Committee (ERAC) members to develop a new plan design with a revised benefits schedule that achieves equity in the STD salary continuation benefits for all staff. ERAC discussed and endorsed the plan at its June 13, 2012 meeting. It was then presented and discussed at the August 28, 2012 Provost's Council and reviewed by the Senior Officers in September.
HR announced the proposed changes in the October Spotlight and ERAC hosted a brown bag on October 24 to allow for questions and clarification. About 45 staff members attended the October 24 session. No one attending the meeting raised any objections to the proposed changes.
Now that this vetting period is complete, we are ready to put the updated program into place. The new policy will be effective for current nonexempt staff and all newly hired staff January 1, 2013. It will apply to current exempt staff on July 1, 2014.
For More Information:
Inside this issue...
- Plan Ahead: 2013 Workplace Learning Programs
- Benefits 101: The Coordination of Benefits Questionnaire
- The Policy Shop: Extra Duty Pay and Additional Compensation
- Update: New Short Term Disability Benefit Plan Takes Effect January 1, 2013
- Quick Takes: Three Things You Should Know About This Month
- Inside IBH: Holiday Cheer or Serious Problem?
- Wellness In The Works: Stay Healthy This Winter!
- News from ERAC
- Coffeepot Chatter: Social Media and the Hiring Process
- In Memoriam: Frank Stokes
- December Anniversaries
Update: New Short Term Disability Benefit Plan Takes Effect January 1, 2013
Workplace Learning & Wellness Programs
Spotlight is published monthly by Human Resources. Please address any comments to Hillary Kwiatek, Spotlight Editor, Human Resources, 428 Brodhead Avenue, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call extension 85165.
Current and past issues of Spotlight can be viewed and searched at: Past Issues.